Something we all are aware of is that during exercise our bodies lose electrolytes along with water through sweat. Often times people will pick up a sports drink, such as Gatorade, to remedy the problem. The unfortunate thing is that most sports drinks contain a crazy amount of sugar and artificial ingredients.
When electrolytes become off balance we can experience:
- Dry mouth
- Muscle weakness
- Stiff or aching joints
- And more…
Electrolytes include calcium, chlorine, magnesium, phosphate, potassium and sodium. Maintaining a good balance results from the particular foods and drinks we consume combined with our activity level, weather and any illness we might be fighting. You can also throw off your electrolyte balance by drinking TOO MUCH water believe it or not.
- 1 quart liquid (water, coconut water, green tea, etc.)
- 1/8-1/4 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt (this kind includes particular trace minerals but regular table salt will work)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed calcium magnesium tablets or powder*
- 1/4 cup natural fruit juice (lemon, lime, pineapple, Apple, etc)
- 1-2 Tbsp sweetener* (honey, stevia)
*these ingredients are optional
- Slightly warm your base liquid in order for other ingredients to dissolve well
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix or shake very well
- Store in fridge until needed
I made mine using a mixture of lemon and lime juice and honey for the sweetener. I also added the calcium magnesium powder as magnesium is something I personally don’t get enough of (calcium is needed for magesium absorption). I also garnished it with a mint leaf.
Here’s to happier, healthier ways to do things!